Skip to main content

Faithful To Me


I began writing in 2007 to “be real.” Not the “keepin’ it real, dawg” of our current culture but in an effort to openly share where-the-rubber-meets-the-road faith. I opened my days to you. I shared my fears and openly celebrated our successes. And you were kind. What began, as an avenue to share my life as a believer, has also become a lifeline through my lonely days of our move to Georgia.

I have to say how grateful I am to you-- thank-you, friends, old and new who have come along beside me this year. I am amazed that you stop by and read my meager thoughts (and many are brave enough to say so!).

The New Year arrived "quietly" in our home this morning. As quietly as possible when a two-year-old is sleeping nearby and 2 older brothers are outside on the deck with sparklers, despite freezing temperatures and gusty winds. (Kentucky freezing temperatures that is, 45 degrees)

The boys were settled and we climbed into bed. David's eyes held mine and said, ‘It’s been a tough year, hasn’t it?" Already emotional from watching movies when the boys were newborns, I didn’t reflect on the difficulties of 2006 very long. He knew. I knew. And in the security of that knowledge, it was enough to lie side by side and be thankful that we had each other and had faced the storms together.

I’ll admit. I’m afraid to dream, to think that this year may hold new promise.

Today when I opened the Streams in the Desert 1, I found encouragement from the words of Mrs. Charles E. Cowman. "Today dear friends, we stand on the verge of the unknown. There lies before us the new year and we are going to possess it. Who can tell what we shall find? What new experiences, what changes may come, what new needs shall arise? But here is the cheering, comforting, gladdening message from our heavenly Father, ‘The Lord thy God careth for it. . . His eyes are upon it away to the ending of the year’"(Deut. 11:11-12).

"All our supply is to come from the Lord. Here are the springs that shall never dry; here are fountains and streams that shall never be cut off. Here anxious one, is the gracious pledge of the heavenly Father. If He be the source of our mercies they can never fail us. No heat, no drought can parch that river, ‘the streams whereof make glad the city of God.’"

". . . The hills collect the rain for a hundred fruitful valleys. Ah, it is so with us! It is the hill of difficulty that drives us to the throne of grace and brings down the shower of blessings . . . ."
"We cannot tell what loss and sorrow and trial are doing. Trust only. The Father comes near to take our hand and lead us on our way today. It shall be a good, blessed new year!"

The last several paragraphs were written in my first blog last January 1st. This New Year’s Eve the setting was different but the scene much the same as the boys showered the deck with sparklers at 12:05AM. Zach caught himself on fire but…other than that!

What a year! Changes—oh yes! Pain, that too. But looking back-- it was a good, blessed year filled with tender mercies.

Today, I stand on the edge of the unknown again but I am learning to trust my father who knows me but loves me in spite of myself...and He's been faithful to me.

Comments

Twila G. said…
Thank you for this beautiful reminder to trust my heavenly Father. I have so enjoyed reading your blog this year. It has been such an encouragement and inspiration to me. You are a dear friend and I pray God will richly bless you and your family this year.
jenny said…
Amy, I have so appreciated your thoughts all year long. Your honesty, depth and realness are exemplary. Most of all, you have pushed and prodded me to walk closer to my Maker, the One who "loves me in spite of myself." Thank you, thank you!

P.S. Amy Kate is so grown up!!! Oh my but that does make me feel old. We thought of you with much longing as we drove past Grove City but we were on official quarantine mode (you can thank us for NOT trying to connect).
Kimberly said…
What good thoughts to enter this New Year...and I agree that this finding of friends (true kindred spirits) has been such a blessing!
Also enjoyed seeing the family xmas pic.!
Rochelle said…
Amy, I also have enjoyed very much your blog this year...& your honesty when times were tough! May God continue to bless your family in 2008!
Rochelle said…
PS. That is one SCARY picture of your son with the sparkler...I take it he is OK?!?!
Unknown said…
Jen--Would have loved to meet up with you but appreciate keeping the "quarantine!" :-) Amy Kate is a about 5.6 and still growing I think...Brandon is probably about 6ft. Can't believe how big they are! I love em to pieces!!!!

Rochelle--yes, Zach is fine. He caught the bottom of his shorts on fire but I noticed it immediately. If it weren't scary it would have been funny.
Mary Ellen said…
I too have REALLY enjoyed reading your blogs. As I've said before, almost every time I read them I feel like I'm having my devotions. I'm so glad you have blessed us with your writing!

Happy New Year to the Balty family.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David