Skip to main content

Looking Ahead


(Zachary with Mrs. D, his favorite 5th grade teacher)


Today marked another milestone in Zachary’s life; the end of elementary school. Just on the horizon is junior high. I am always nostalgic this time of year, the reminder that another year has passed. It always gives me pause to think about how we are doing in preparing our boys for their adult lives.

Zachary was blessed with an intellect that neither David nor I posses. We were stunned and humbled when he had his first IQ test. I am not bragging, this is God’s gift but we have been given the responsibility of being good stewards of it at this point in Zachary’s life. Consequently he has breezed through elementary years, from an academic viewpoint. This year had challenges of a different nature.

Zachary is very social and while we expected an adjustment in changing school and states and all that encompasses such a move, we didn’t foresee how difficult this year would be on him…or us.

Attending a new school is always challenging but his new school is affluent and evangelistic in nature…meaning that neither parent has to be a Christian for a child to attend (but have to have lots of $$$). Nothing is wrong with having money but an environment of affluence with the absence of Christian character (in classmates, NOT in teachers) has left us doing a lot of “weeding” the garden of Zachary’s heart and praying for guidance.

Zachary’s ability to memorize scripture and understand God’s word amazes us and even though he is young we were praying for more application! David began several months ago waking Zachary before any of the rest of us and he and Zachary would read and pray together. This time became precious to Zach and if they missed a morning, Zachary was sure to remind his Dad to wake him the next morning.

On Wednesday night after church, the boys had gone to bed and David and I were in the living room. I had just drifted to sleep when I felt something flutter on my chest. This was the precious letter we received from Zachary and to us the encouragement we needed to keep “planting” and “weeding.”

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you for putting up with me, even when I don’t watch my mouth or act stupid (both are usually intertwined!!)

For Mom,
Thank you for doing my laundry, cooking dinner and even though you are sick you still play a HUGE role on our family. Thank you for almost sacrificing your life for one of my best friends. (If you had died, I wouldn’t be living)

For Dad,
Thank you for playing basketball, baseball, and football with me and Samuel. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to talk with me and help me with my walk with God. Thank you for making my rear sore when I’m bad. From the whole family, thank you for earning money and putting up with sophomores in an extremely underpaid job. Also thanks for paying for my tuition.

Thank you yet again,
Your son

Comments

Unknown said…
That is such a sweet letter. One that I'm sure you will always treasure. Zachary is such a great kid! Philip and I have commented often on how you and David raise your family. You are an example to the rest of us! Love to you all!
Dori Overman said…
How sweet. Don't you just love it when you see a bit of fruit from your labor of love?
Anonymous said…
That "Thank you" note from your son is absolutely precious! It is just so incredible how genuine he is on so many different levels. Sounds like you guys have raised a really good boy!
Kimberly said…
A precious letter, Amy! While not a parent, it leaves me with the feeling of wishing such fragile hearts could be guarded from all the tough stuff of "growing up"...of course not possible, but it surely seems like you as parents are doing a terrific job of giving Zachary the skills and faith he needs to face whatever comes! Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David