Skip to main content

Word of God Speak

I still have construction dust on my knees, palms and under my fingernails.

Several weeks ago, our pastor began announcing that everyone should bring his or her favorite scripture verse written down on a slip of paper for this evening’s service. He intentionally gave no indication why we should do this. Our family was ready. I think Samuel’s first pick was from Exodus but David talked him into something, let’s just say, a bit more practical.

Toward the close of the service, our pastor gave the instruction that as a congregation we should leave the gymnasium where we are currently worshipping and move into the new auditorium—just across the parking lot. There we would find permanent markers and that we should write our favorite verses on the concrete floor of our new sanctuary.

We moved as a group of 200+ into the new building. Group by group we knelt, young and old, singles and married, and wrote our verses onto the floor. I was moved to such scriptures:

1 Corinthians 15:55
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Philippians 4:19
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Psalm 139:14
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Verse after verse written on the floor as you enter, on the floor of sanctuary-to-be, and on the steps leading up to the platform…it was thrilling and emotional. Each of these verses tell a story. I don’t know all of them but I do know a few.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?” Written by woman in her 40’s, whose head is covered by ball cap to “hide” the on-going ravages of chemotherapy.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Written by a man, whose hair is gray and shoulders stooped with age. He fumbles to finish but he does….

But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Written by a man, who took this verse as a promise to college and still clings to it everyday. I know him personally, for he is my husband.

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.” I know this story well for it is personal. It is mine.

Strange, perhaps to some but this became my “new” favorite verse when one night, very recently, while lying in bed, I became fearful of the fragility of my body and what it could mean to my family. David pulled my head onto his chest and began quoting Psalm 139. When he got to verse 14, the tears flowed as I was reminded again to praise God…for marvelous are (His) works…MARVELOUS are his works; and that my soul knoweth right well!!

My “story” combined with well over 200 testimonies written through the promises of God on the floor of our new building.

This chalk dust will easily wipe off, but I hope this night will remain in my heart and memories for a very long time.

Comments

I got chills reading this post. What a really neat idea. I loved the scriptures and hearing the stories behind the few you knew. What do people do who go through difficult times that don't have the Word or the Healer to lean on?
Cara said…
Amy,

This post brought tears to my eyes. Scripture is so powerful! And it is wonderful to hear stories of how people's lives have been shaped by these ancient words. There is a reason we are to "hide these words in our hearts". Thanks for the inspiration!
Rochelle said…
Good stuff Amy! Loved that blog. We did that one time at a church I attended & I thought it was the coolest thing.
BTW....I LOVE your new look on the blog!! It is awesome!
LaRona said…
This post was such blessing today! Thanks for sharing the verses and their respective stories. I would have written: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths".
UL Cards Fan said…
Wow Amy,
I got CHILLS and TEARS reading this post. I am leading A HEART LIKE HIS and last night Beth talked about the full armor of God.The WORD of God is the only offensive weapon against Satan and today God kept giving me the verse WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. Priviledged to be on this journey with you. Love the new look of your BLOG. LINDA
Unknown said…
You all inspire me to keep sharing!

Thank you, LaRona, for sharing "your" verse--I wish I had asked that as part of the comments of my blog! I would have loved to have heard everyone's!
Amanda said…
Wow. That is all I can say Amy, is "wow"!
jenny said…
What a memory for your church family, and your own family to share together. I especially was inspired by your favorite verse and the story behind it...thanks so much for sharing.

And, I'd really love to know what Samuel's first pick was?
Twila G. said…
I love the new look of your blog! So creative! What an awesome thing for your church to do. Great post.
Mary Ellen said…
How very meaningful that must have been - awesome idea!!

I love, love, love the whole look of your new blog - especially the header - as the young 'uns would say..."Way Cool!"
Kimberly said…
Beautifully written!
I like the new look!

(Isaiah 58:11)

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David