Skip to main content

Day 4: From the Buried to the Bard

Zac and I stepped out of the Tube this morning to this beautiful, iconic sight:









We were on our way to Westminster Abbey for the 10:00 tour.




(The church seems to have been leaning a little bit to the right at this moment. Something about keeping up with that church at Pisa.)
The pic above shows the famous west entrance used for state events, including Diana's funeral.

We entered through the north entrance, depicted below.





We were met inside by a man who informed us, in hushed and reverent tones, that although we purchased a ticket to get inside the building for a tour, we had not actually purchased the tour itself. The pronouncement sounded odd, but he sounded sincere, so we handed over another £10. (Yes, the dead are pricey these days, but the £10 pounds for a guided tour was a fantastic investment.)

The Westminster Abbey tour humbled me. I left feeling very small, wanting to live a life filled with meaning -- a life of consequence. The tour made me want to be a better man.

The floors and walls were lined with names of politicians, statesmen, soldiers, and poets (including C. S. Lewis). However, I was inspired by a plaque dedicated to a plumber at the Abbey, a man who labored faithfully for decades. There are so many fascinating stories. 

We honored the request of the verger and did not take any photographs. 



The edifice above is Saint Margaret's, a sanctuary frequented by many members of the House of Commons. It is all part of the Westminster Abbey property.

I learned that the Abbey houses 40 boys, ages 8 to 13. They board at the Abbey and are educated in the Westminster Academy. They are on scholarship to sing in eight services a week. In return, the Abbey pays for the boys' education.

For lunch, Zac and I went to a restaurant called Beigal  Bake. I am not sure I would have gone had I known what the area of town looked like. The restaurant was in the Shoreditch  area, the same area where Shakespeare opened his first theater. Zac referred to the area as being "artsy," a very generous description.

We both had bagels with salt beef, mustard, and sweet pickles. I chose it because the guy in front of me made that order. It was absolutely wonderful! I would have taken a picture of the sandwich except that I was afraid to take out my cell phone.

My sandwich looked very much like the sandwich in the picture below that I found online. I know it doesn't look very appetizing, but in that neighborhood, it was the best looking thing that I had seen in blocks. I do not see any pickles on this sandwich, but one can get the idea anyway.



From Shoreditch we walked over to the London Bridge. What an interesting bridge and landmark.


One section of the top part of the bridge has glass flooring as you can see in this picture.






Our final big stop of the day was at the Globe Theatre. The entire setting is simply magical, from the walking path beside the Thames River to the intricate little warren of streets adjacent to the Globe itself. Tonight's performance was a rendition of Much Ado about Nothing.

It was simply fantastic!

I really enjoyed the theater itself, because it is open air. One can be sitting inside the theater and see the skyscrapers in the background. The people in the pit paid £5 for the privilege of standing for the entire performance, but the performers actually walked among the spectators on many occasions.









We have had another wonderful day today! 

Tomorrow we plan to go to the British Museum and to take in St Paul's Cathedral. If time permits, I want to visit Shakespeare's church at St. Helen's Bishopsgate.

Tonight I am reminded of Longfellow's words: 

"Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime. 
And, departing, leave behind us 
Footprints in the sand of time."

One step at a time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David