Skip to main content

Choosing Peace

I promised I would write more about Bible study but felt pretty nauseous the last couple of days.

The room where we meet is decorated each week in girly colors with pretty tablecloths and table arrangements. This week at each place setting was also a note card. After the topic of prayer, each of us was asked to meet with the ladies at our table and give prayer requests.

Honestly, since I am so new here and would prefer to be private about these health issues that keep creeping up, I was tempted –really tempted—to keep quiet. After all I have so many of you lifting me to the Father. But I didn’t. When my turn came, I simply stated the facts, as I know them now and asked for prayer.

A dear lady from the opposite side of the table stood up and said, “Amy, I think that we should lay hands on you, right now and ask for healing.” She came over put her hands on my shoulders and had a conversation with God, that was both sincere and comfortable—meaning it was obvious that she speaks to Him often.

So my week ended as it began; in prayer. I have had precious friends call and pray with me. I have received emails of encouragement. I have been tempted to anxiety—but then I remember you and know that you are praying for me and choose peace.

Looking back over the last few years, I’m tempted to believe that the absence of difficulty would bring peace, but according to the Bible that’s not so. All That Really Matters, a book that I love and have quoted from several times by Sheila Walsh has this to say: "In the Old and New Testaments, God's peace is seen as a gift not to those who are fearless but to those who tremble with fear, wondering if they will survive."

When the disciples huddled together like wounded birds in an upper room after the crucifixion, they were sick at heart. Jesus, their one and only hope on this earth, had been butchered before their eyes, and they were terrified and hopeless. Cutting through that cloak of despair, Jesus stood before them and said, 'peace be with you' (Luke 24:36). Nothing outside the room had changed but because Jesus was there, everything had changed. It is the presence of God, not the absence of trouble that brings peace."

"Circumstances have nothing to do with peace; God’s presence does."

Our Seth has a love-hate relationship with the car wash. He loves to talk about it but hates to drive through. As we started in yesterday, he started to tremble and called, "Hug Seth, mommy." Fortunately David was at the wheel, so I moved into the back seat. Seth reached over and clutched my arm across his body. We were still IN the car wash, but because he was holding on to me and I to him…he was at peace.

This week promises to be challenging. The dark clouds of an unknown future are on the horizon, and the winds of indecision are blowing strong. But Ms. Walsh goes on to say, "Peace is the prerogative of those who trust in God. The peace that he gives holds us through sunshine and storms of life because it’s not dependent on things going our way. It is wholly dependent on whose way we are on."

So, I am choosing to cling to Christ.

I need thee every hour,
most gracious Lord;
no tender voice like thine
can peace afford.

I need thee every hour;
stay thou nearby;
temptations lose their power
when thou art nigh.

I need thee every hour,
in joy or pain;
come quickly and abide,
or life is vain.


My testing begins tomorrow at 12:30 and will last several hours. I’m choosing peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amy, I just want you to know that I have lifted you to our Heavenly Father every time (which has been many) He has brought you to my mind over the last few days. I would so love to see God perform a miracle for you and have been praying in that regard. I would love for this to be a "physical" miracle but even more importantly I have been praying for a "peace" miracle no matter what happens! Hugs!
UL Cards Fan said…
Dear Amy,
You have been on my heart and I pray for good results tomorrow. I have felt a connection to you even though we just "met" a few days ago. Music is very much a part of my life and this song from an old Kathy Troccoli CD came to mind. It is called HOW WOULD I KNOW and the chorus says:
How would I know You could deliver? How would I know You could set free? If there had never been a battle How would I know the victory? How would I know You could be faithful to meet all of my needs? Lord, I appreciate the hard times otherwise how would I know?
May God's peace abide with you as you undergo your tests tomorrow. Praying for a good night's sleep for you and your family.
In Christ,
LINDA
Unknown said…
I'm praying for you Amy!
jenny said…
Love and prayers!!!
Anonymous said…
Amy, We are praying for you. We love and appreciate you. Junia
Anonymous said…
Amy,
I am so sorry we haven't talked much lately. I knew you were going thru this & am praying, but wish we had some phone time. I will remember you tomorrow, praying for a calming peace tonight & before the test & the results you are hoping for. I don't know why people go thru things, only that in the end sometimes the reason is clear. Which doesn't help right now I know, in a different situation it took several years for me to realize why the pain was necessary. Don't let that sound hopeless. There is always hope. We love you.
~Laura
Unknown said…
I love you all!! Thank you for your support. I am humbled.
Unknown said…
Linda--What CD is that song on? I like Kathy Troccoli too.

What about the CARDS!!!! We need to get a UofL flag to fly here in University of Georgia territory.
Mom Watch said…
Hi Amy. Thanks so much for leaving me such a nice message. I absolutely love your page and found myself caught up reading it all to get to know you a little bit. I will also join your prayer group here and pray for your current health situation. The Holy Spirit jumps from this page and into the reader's heart,...I will add your page as a link on mine if you don't mind? God Bless and thanks again for stoppin in to say hello!
Unknown said…
Hi Eve, Thanks for stopping by and no, I don't mind you linking to my page.

You are a master crafter of words to express human emotions. I love your words here, "The Holy Spirit jumps from this page and into the reader's heart," I would have never thought about it like that. I'll look forward to keeping up with you here at Blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David