Skip to main content

Who's On First?

You all have been so kind to re-read my blogs that I wrote on Yahoo and have been slowly bringing over here(just in case they become inaccessible). I wrote this in January of this year after Seth's check-up for his femur fracture. How little did I know then what this year would hold for our family! Tonight is a good time to remind myself...God IS good.

January 2007
I’m currently reading, All That Really Matters, by Sheila Walsh. She briefly addresses the sovereignty of God in His name, El Elyon—The God who controls all things. She has this to say, "A belief in the sovereignty of God means that whether we understand what is happening or not, whether God seems silent or not, whether evil seems to be winning over good or not, we gather up faith and say to God, ‘I love you. I trust you. This hurts me, but I know that you have my good at heart, so I say Yes! to you and No! to trying to grab control and fix everything myself.’"

In a previous post (STAPA), I mentioned that becoming a parent has really helped me in understanding my relationship with God. I had another such experience last week.

Thursday afternoon was Seth’s follow-up appointment with the orthopedist who aligned his femur and applied the cast. I knew Seth would be very apprehensive about returning to her office; the last visit when the body cast was removed was very frightening for him. I didn’t tell him about the visit until after his nap, when I was getting him ready. He implored me, in his 2-year old way: "Please, Mommy, let’s stay home, my leg is better. The doctor took it off"(in reference to the cast). I felt glum but did my best to reassure him that the visit was only routine. I, too, dreaded the return to her office and her frank assessment of what may continue to happen in the future. Seth was quiet on the way to the office and then sat trembling on my lap while we waited for his turn. He was scared, but he trusted me. I knew that the visit was important to make sure the bone was continuing to heal properly and the leg growing normally. Feeling his body tremble made me want to stand up and walk out, but there was the ultimate good to think about. And so we waited.

So it is with God, isn’t it? As a child of God, I, like Seth, simply cannot understand why I must endure the hardship. I want an easy way out. "…Scripture doesn’t tell us that everything will go as we would like but rather that God is in control, regardless. …not chance or fate, not you, not me, but God, El-Elyon, is in control, and he is good."

So, I must rest in God’s sovereignty – I’m not good at this, I’ll be honest. I do not believe that I am victim to circumstance--carelessly in the hands of fate. I want to rest in the hope and peace of El-Elyon, the God who is in control of ALL things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David