Skip to main content

Yes, I Am

still alive. I have my head buried in books...just to be sure that I am actually smarter than a 5th 6th grader. (No comments in this regard please!) Anyway, just thought I'd poke my head out of one of them and say hi.

Sunday night I was feeling very overwhelmed and under-prepared for the responsibilities of this year. There were so many reasons NOT to homeschool this year not the least of which is that my health has a history of being tenuous and the boys have a great Christian school to attend. But over the summer David and I became convinced (separately) that this was God's plan for our family for this season.

I am scared. Petrified, actually. But when I filtered out all of the things that really frighten me about taking on a challenge such as this, I realize that what scares me the most are the things that I cannot control (i.e. health).

It would be easy for me to focus on how inadequate I am. But just recently I was reminded of the Widow's Mite from Luke's Gospel.

Just then he looked up and saw the rich people dropping offerings in the collection plate. Then he saw a poor widow put in two pennies. He said, "The plain truth is that this widow has given by far the largest offering today. All these others made offerings that they'll never miss; she gave extravagantly what she couldn't afford --she gave her all!"

We have had an exciting week so far! We began by studying the people who live in the 10/40 window and why we should pray for them. We have talked about the 200 MILLION homeless/street children in the world. And we will "travel" from Albania to Zimbabwe and all over the world, as I teach them our requirement from Luke 10 to pray/love/go because God wants us to share in his work. On top of it, they'll learn more Math and grammar, vocab, spelling, and...

So, while it is exciting, it is also exhausting. But as we join hands every day and pray for these people groups they didn't even know existed, I pray that God will take my "mite" and instill in my boys a love for these people who we'll "meet" this year.

Now, back to the books...

Comments

Rochelle said…
Wow. An awesome duty, responsibility & privilege at the same time. I know you'll do a great job Amy!
Twila G. said…
You go girl!! What a great post. I'm so excited that you're homeschooling. It's the most incredible, humbling, exhilarating, exhausting roller coaster you will ever get on. There's no ride like it in the world, and you couldn't pay me to do anything else. Definitely, realizing our inadequacy and our complete dependence on Him is essential for God to be able to pour in His grace and give us the power and the strength to train our children for Him. IThess.5:24 Faithful is He that calleth you, who also will do it. I'll be praying for you.
wow, Amy!!! once again you are challenging me with your faith and understanding of how God equips us for His plan to be fulfilled. There is no doubt in my mind that you and David will do an awesome job training and teaching your boys this year!! I am thrilled for the memories you are going to make and what God is going to do in your home.
jenny said…
Oh Amy! I am so excited to read this. I echo the thoughts above that I know you and David will be tremendous as teachers at home.
Amanda said…
Amy, I am sure you will do terrific. Just remember what you told me:"All my trust on thee is stayed; all my help from thee I bring; Cover my defenceless head With the shadow of thy wing." If we can only really grasp this. Just one day at a time.
Cara said…
I am encouraged from reading your post. Because I home school one child my homeschooling tends to look more like a one-on-one tutoring session instead of a more formal gathering. As a former teaching that can be a little discouraging because I don't feel like we are doing "real school". But I know we are!

I know that you are going to do a wonderful job with your boys because you care, more than anyone else in the world, about their education. That will give you the strength to go on even when things seem overwhelming!
amy said…
Thanks so much for all of your supportive comments! I am still in the "honeymoon" period, I readily admit.

I plan to update on Wednesday evenings while David (bless his heart!) takes my boys to Awana.
Chelgren Family said…
Amy,

You will do wonderfully at homeschooling - you seem to be so organized and completely in control! Ella starts K4 PA Cyber on Tuesday and Lilly starts Abeka 3 year old program on Tuesday also - I know Ella will do wonderfully, but Lilly I am a bit nervous about! The playhouse on our blog is actually at my sister in law's house - they bought it at "Ollie's" - I don't know if the stores are nationwide or not - they got a wonderful deal on it - it was $50 and obviously all the kids LOVE it!! Well I am hoping to get the entire house clean while my girls take their normal 2 hour nap - so alot lies ahead of me ;-) I will be praying for you with homeschooling - it seems it is something that can be overwhelming, but will be so rewarding in the end!

Love,
Angie
Valerie said…
Amy, It is nice to finally "meet" you. My sister has told me many times of your writings and to be truthful, you have become a fast favorite of hers. I look forward to reading your blog in the future and developing a friendship via "cyberspace.":):)
Best wishes to you on your new adventure of homeschooling. WOW! What an amazing undertaking. I know personally that this is not something that I could endeavor to do, but certianly admire those that are able to adequately teach their children at home. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boys during this school year. Look forward to reading an update soon on your progress. Valerie
Lisa said…
Amy,
I love reading your posts!! You inspire me. Know that when He calls us...He will help us and equip us to do the job!! I am sure you will do a great job and your children will thank you for the sacrifice.
I look forward to reading of your success.
Mary Ellen said…
I have no doubt you'll do an amazing job!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David