Skip to main content

Is It Too Late to Learn Flexibility?

When I began seeking the advice of "veteran" home schooling moms, two words kept being repeated. "Be flexible." Sounds so easy. But naturally, flexibility and I do not go hand-in-hand. I love schedules. I like to make schedules. I like to cross out things that have been accomplished---you get the idea.

So, my Friday "schedule" goes something like this. Get up by 5:30 and make and eat breakfast with David. Shower, get dressed, put on make-up (thank goodness for that, it hides a multitude of imperfections). If the boys are not up by 7Am, wake them, they make their beds, shower, and then they have breakfast. Then we do piano before I take Zachary to His Masters Voice (HMV), a 70 voice concert choir that consists of other home-schooled children grades 6-12. While Zach is at HMV I run to Kroger to pick up any sale items. Then I come home fix lunch and do the rest of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart after lunch. Are you tired yet? Maybe bored, I don't blame you.

Ahhh, but my point was flexibility. My schedule this morning flowed normally until about 10 AM when I began to experience symptoms that reminded me a lot of those that I had 6 months ago. I knew better than to put off going to the doctor this time (although I did get Zach to HMV on time), and he confirmed what I suspected, another kidney stone! This one is half the size of the last and should not need medical intervention! A CAT scan will confirm the beginning of next week.

With the last one I suffered agonizing pain every 3 months until it progressed to about every 4-6 weeks and was eventually removed. I have never had a child without anesthesia but I am told that the pain of a kidney stone is similar to childbirth. I'm thinking that not even the mother-of-the-year would want to have that kind of pain every 4-6 weeks, but maybe it's just me. So I am hoping and praying for an quick uneventful passing and flexibility, that doesn't have to be always learned the hard way!

Comments

Dori Overman said…
I"ll be praying for you Amy!
Unknown said…
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with that again. I'll be praying! Love you!
Bless your heart, Amy!!! I pray for a quick "passing." My neighbor across the street gets horrible kidney stones, and her urologist recommended to her to drink a quart of water every day with some fresh lemon juice added. That has seemed to help her, but she was getting them numerous times a year.
LaRona said…
Oh, Amy! I'll be praying...often
Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness Amy, I trust that you are able get over this without much pain. We will be praying for you. I wish I was closer to help with the boys. Love and miss you!!!
LindaJo49 said…
I'll be praying for you!!
Mary Ellen said…
Ugh, I sure hope this one goes away very quickly! I enjoyed catching up on your last few blogs - I have no doubt you are doing a fantabulous job!!!
Lisa said…
Hi Amy! My name is Lisa Boardman and I know your husbands parents very well. My husband Phil and I used to live in the Quad Cities back in 1995 and attended Coal Valley church. That is where I (not Phil) met Bro. and Sis. Balty for the first time...just wonderful people. My husbands brother and family, Steve and Luann Boardman have been friends with them for a long time now. I understand their health is failing and hope you could give our love to them. We seen them last about 2-3 yrs ago while visiting with family there. Anyway, it is nice to meet you, even if it is through blogging!!! :) Hope you get to feeling better, I also have three boys and homeschool...I know the challenges. :)
I'll check back in!
amy said…
Thnaks to all of you for your prayers and well wishes. So far so good...in terms of pain but no progress. So we'll see.

Brooke,
Thanks for the water idea...I am trying to do better in that regard!
Amanda said…
Amy, our family will remember you tonight in our family devotions. I am sorry you are having to deal w/ something like this again..
Kimberly said…
Hoping you're feeling better!
For me, being flexible is a choice (not natural)and can be practiced and improved upon...but maybe never conquered!:)

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David