Skip to main content

Thinking Out of the House



Homeschool on Thursday was just as I dreamed homeschooling would be!

Well, not exactly.

I would have envisioned my house being immaculate, the laundry and ironing caught up, the dishwasher purring with dishes used from the warm and nutritious lunch I had just prepared...

But none of these was true.

I kept looking longingly at the clock. It was a spectacular day; the skies were steel blue and a light breeze blew through our open windows. We still had history and reading to do...and it was only just about lunch time. I knew the boys were antsy too. I could sense it.

There was an audible sigh of relief when I declared that we were breaking for lunch. I cooked some of those really nutritious pizza rolls--you know the kind with no preservatives--and for good measure, I threw some carrots sticks on the plate too, so I would still be eligible for the Mother-of-the-Year award.

While they ate, I gathered our afternoon assignments and some blankets. As soon as they were finished, I broke the news. "We're going to have school outside this afternoon." They looked astonished. But as soon as the news sunk in, that this schedule-keeping-routine-loving momma, really meant it--with no strings attached--the whooping began!

So, we studied the people group of Riffe Berber under the sun of God's classroom! And then for an hour we read aloud from Ginger Pye and laughed ourselves silly. Seth swung from the nearby trees, dug in the dirt, peed in the yard(oops, there's goes that Mother-the-Year, thingy)---and listened too (I think).

At 2:45, we brought all of our stuff back into my immaculate house and I began another especially nutritious meal. Well, not into an immaculate house--in fact, the lunch dishes were still in the sink, laundry to do, and...

But, I don't think my kids will remember that they had pizza rolls for lunch, that I left dishes in the sink or that I had more laundry to do, but it will be a long time before they forget the afternoon we studied outside.

Comments

I love it Amy. What a refreshing blog. I need to keep in mind that my schedule is not always important compared to my children. My house can wait and the laundry can pile up as long as I'm spending quality time with my girls. Thanks for sharing. Hope you get to spend many more unscheduled days with your boys. Love the "peeing in the yard" story...lol. I have girls and believe me they will pee in the yard too when opportunity arises. Blessing.
jenny said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenny said…
That IS inspiring, my friend. Bravo for a day well spent and "unscheduled"!

Trust your feeling better? So sorry to read about your bout with the kidney stone.
Amanda said…
Hi Amy... love the new look... You are doing a great job. Thank you once again for another inspirational post. You are tops!
Cara said…
What fun! It is interesting how our "unplanned" days end up being the highlights of the children's week.

And about the peeing...one time my second son peed outside, at the church, in front of kids and moms while we were having a MOPS picnic! The pastor's son. ( think he was only 4 at the time) My friends won't let me forget that story!

And I love your new blog look! It is fun!
your new layout is so fun!! Hilary is a sweetie and does a great job with her talent.

That is one of the priceless features of a boy- getting to pee outside and not having much of a hassle.

We had pizza rolls too for lunch and I am not homeschooling 8 hours a day, and keeping up with everything you have to do. What is my excuse? I think I had a coupon for the pizza rolls!!!!
LaRona said…
You've captured the teachable 'moment', my friend...one they will always remember =)
Unknown said…
Thanks for each of your comments.

Funny story, Cara, about your son peeing outside at the MOPS picnic! Boys will be boys they say! :-)

Oh Brooke, now you'll lose your nomination for the Mother-of-the-Year award, too, if you keep your kids those things! :-) I hope you can use the exception of just couponing! :-)
LindaJo49 said…
I love it!! I read a blog written by one of our nieces who homeschools her children. She wrote this yesterday -- what a neat experience for you both and how creative!!

Today after our morning errand, we did school outside on the side walk. Tea and hot cocoa as we worked on our reading. We had to stop for a nature discovery.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David