Skip to main content

What's Up With Me

I miss blogging, but to say that I am busy is an understatement!

My day begins about 5:15-5:30 when I crawl to the kitchen to make breakfast for David. I am not being a martyr here; I actually enjoy the quiet solitude of being alone with him. And IF he can stand to look at me that early...

He prefers to be at school at 6:00. (This I most certainly didn't understand until now!) So I have from about 6:00-7:00 for personal time, showering and dressing (I refuse to "teach" in my pj’s) devotions and talking to my mom on the phone. From that point on, the boys get up, get dressed, make beds, (run on Tuesday and Thursday), have breakfast, and begin their "Do Now" assignment.

"Do now" was my husband's brilliant idea that he shared from his classroom. We use it at home for journaling. Some days I have topics for them to write about, and other days, they can write about whatever they prefer. This is fantastic because it gives me 15 minutes to either put dinner in the crock-pot for evening or clean up any left over breakfast dishes.

From that point on, I can scarcely catch my breath! While I LOVE the Sonlight curriculum, there is a lot required from ME. Now to clarify, I love this because I find out a lot about what they know (or don't), and I can help direct their thinking. But since my boys are 4 grades apart in school--2 Cores were suggested--and that's a lot! Plus we supplement Sonlight with First Language Lessons for Samuel and Daily Grams for Zach. Most days, it takes a full 6 hours and that does not include their piano practice/lessons on Tuesdays or concert choir for Zachary on Fridays.

So I really needed to look at the curriculum and see what could be done; I think that I have come up with a different plan. Zachary's math is on CD-ROM so he needs no assistance for me for math, except mental Math. His Geography is also on CD-ROM and requires little assistance (but it is SO fascinating, I WANT to listen!). The problem really came with history. Zachary is a voracious reader, and the only thing keeping him from reading every book on the shelf for this year is me! Because the books are so AWESOME, I want to experience them with him. Many of the books are missionary stories, like Torches of Joy (which we are currently reading), which correlate with his Pacific Islands studies in Geography. So, I plan to read quickly enough to stay ahead of him so we can converse, but give him free rein to read. That alone will provide more freedom for both of us!

Samuel, like any second grader, needs more assistance, but his history and geography become a family project as we read about ancient civilizations in Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Iraq. He can now name and point out all the countries of the Middle East.

I have had some difficulty placing him where he should be in Saxon Math. So each day, I give him another assessment test; if he aces it, we move to the next lesson. So far, he has aced everything. It is my nature to want to require every single lesson, but the beauty of homeschooling is that the repitition is unnecessary if Samuel already has the content mastered!

The local homeschool group is SO active; I could be busy every week if I wanted to just with that. For now, I have chosen a dissection class for Zach on Thursdays and several field trips over the next 2 months. They will be a great resource for me, I think.

So what does Seth do? That must be the question most often asked. He listens in--a lot! He is begging to start school, but I am just not ready to add another thing yet! He plays on the computer, plays with his train, and waits patiently for Samuel to finish so they can play together.

My plan was to update my blog every Wednesday night when David takes the boys--bless him--to Awana. That just didn't work this last week because we made Grandparent cards for Art on Wednesday morning, which set us back a couple of hours. So when David took the boys to church, I did much-needed household chores!

I know this is terribly long. I know there'll be days when I think that I must be crazy, but for now I am happier than I have ever been in my life!

Comments

Dori Overman said…
Sounds like you are doing a great job! If you need Sonlight help I can give you my sister's number. She has used it for 10 years and also is a distributer for it so can probably answer any questions you may have.
Anonymous said…
You go, girl! : ) You're doing awesome!
ahh, amy that is encouraging. i sure miss you!!!
Michelle said…
Amy,

How big is Seth? Walker is 36 inches and this outfit is an 18 month that was meant for Truman, it has about 8 inches of strap left so both of my boys will be wearing it for a while. Actually, Walker has shorts made out of the same print with a shirt with Cowboy appliqués on it. Now, I think it is fine for a 4 year old to wear. Walker will be 3 on Monday and I still intend to put this one him next year with the straps moved. I got it at a clothing show in February, but I hosted so I know the people. I bet that you could get one made.

www.jigjogkids.com

It is the Robbie overall. They come all the way to a 4T, and if you give them Seth's measurements they can work with you on the size. Like I said, Walker is wearing the 18 month and he is 3.

Let me know if you have questions or if you order. I love to know stuff like that.

Michelle
Wow Amy! Your post made me tired just reading it, but more importantly, I am so happy to hear that you are really happy. Sounds like those dark days are behind you and that things are settling into place. I am so glad!!
Cara said…
You leave me breathless! I understand the business--especially with two and trying to keep both of them on task, answer questions, do reading plus manage the younger one. I do not know how moms with lots of kids do homeschool--I think I would go crazy. So when I feel overwhelmed with one, I just read or listen to those of you who are schooling two or more and I feel better. I think I can manage just one.

Thanks for sharing...it helps so much to read about how your day goes and how you are adjusting to each new obstacle.
Rochelle said…
Nice to hear an update! I knew you were working hard... Sounds like you're doing an awesome job!
amy- i have lost your current email address. could you send that again, please?? there is something i want to send to you! love bp
Amanda said…
Sounds like you are doing wonderful! Congratulations and great job! I will have to say, be careful you don't overload yourself and burn out quickly. But like i said.. wow, you are terrific!
LaRona said…
Way to go! I'm thrilled it is working for you - your organization is admirable! I can relate to Zach's voracious reading appetite...I used to read all the required books in the first few weeks & bemoan the fact that I had nothing left to read. I, too, find the history and geography fascinating; my desire to learn is insatiable and I would want to learn as much as possible, too =)
Anonymous said…
Your day sounds a lot like mine! I enjoy getting up early with my husband have some time to myself before the girls get up and we have to start our day. I like the "Do Now" idea. I'm still trying to get in the swing of things and that would give me a little more time to get organized. It seems like your school year is off to a good start!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David