Skip to main content

Hook, Line, and Stinker


Zachary’s thoughts kept drifting off toward the lake this morning during math. I knew he was excited about the middle school boy’s fishing trip this afternoon. Shortly after eleven, he ran to the garage to get his gear and I packed a lunch for him. He wanted me to pack the other boys a lunch too and come back to the lake in time to eat with everyone afterwards. I packed the other lunches but was dubious as to whether I would lunch at the lake; I had a headache that had lasted all night and was mounting in intensity again.

As I pulled into the state park just about 5 minutes before noon, I was surprised to see that there were no other parents. I drove to the other side—unsure of exactly where we were to meet—no one was there. Zachary was visibly disappointed and so I, in a moment of weakness, suggested that we just stay and fish. I called David to tell him what I was going to do. “I am so proud of you,” he gushed, knowing full well what I was in for…

Because a permit was required and one must have a license to get a permit, I drove 10 miles to the local Wal-Mart to purchase a license. 2 HOURS (no fault of my own!) later I pulled back in to the park.

I had not even gotten my body down the hill to the lake when Samuel got his line snagged the first time. After repeatedly snagging his line and then MY FACE, he lost interest in fishing and moved on to his first love: food.

Samuel ate like he does everything else--with great fervor--and then decided that riding Seth’s tricycle down the hill over the slats of the wooden bridge –doing 60 if anything—was a considerable diversion! When those tricycle tires made contact with that rickety old bridge, I can assure you, nobody was catching fish!

Hauling our stuff back Up. The. Hill, I muttered to myself to express to David how proud I am of him when he takes the boys fishing on Saturday.

And I’ll pack an extra sandwich for Samuel.

Comments

Amy I love the way you put things into words. Not only was this post very amusing, but you made the whole incident come to life for me and I visualized the whole thing. Hope those headaches stay away and you keep your wonderful sense of humor. Hugs!
Mary Ellen said…
He snagged your FACE?!?! OUCH!!

So does this mean there is a different time when he is to be there and you get to experience this day all over again?

Loved the writing style, funny blog.
Valerie said…
I laughed at your expense today.:):) The picture in my mind of you and your boys trying to have a day at the pond, minus the fish, but WITH the trike, it was to amusing!! What a great memory and what a great mom!
Amy, could you send me your email address please. Write me at cowens1219@aol.com.

Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David