Skip to main content

Thankful Thanksgiving

















Yesterday following our Thanksgiving feast, we loaded up and headed to one of our favorite places: Stone Mountain Park.


We were riding the open-air passenger train; Seth was boogying on my lap to Here Comes Santa Claus, my 8-year-old slipped his hand into mine and snuggled close for warmth and my husband leaned forward from the seat behind and put his arms around my shoulders. I closed my eyes and, while the wind bit my nose and cheeks, I allowed their love to envelop me. It felt good to close my eyes…and for a moment put aside the concern for David’s family.

Thanksgiving, 2007, we shed a lot of tears. Glenda has just received news of her ovarian cancer and her surgery and treatment loomed large in our minds. She had surgery in December, chemotherapy in January and just weeks later, Don was diagnosed with MDS, a blood disorder with a one-way route to leukemia, although for some this condition can last for years.

Not so for Don, whose blood results we tracked like hounds, watching his white count, platelet, and hemoglobin go down each week. By June, he was transfusion dependent. He received Mylotarg in July and we were grateful to see him go into "remission." His platelet count got so high, in fact, that I warned that if it got much higher the physician might suggest a phlebotomy… "You’ve got be kidding!" he replied.

I’ve watched Don and Glenda travel down into the valley this year, being present at times when I felt awkward being privy to such intimacy. I recall one such moment where we were sitting in the car after just receiving news that Don’s prognosis was poor. As the car door closed around us, the vehicle became a sanctuary of praise, as they gave thanks for the goodness of God. I sat, in awe, with tears streaming down my face.

Don’s condition remains stable but low. His body continues to survive on the daily blood transfusions that he receives. His vitals are stable and his appetite good. He has not recently had any episodes of worrisome confusion. His white count is perilously low, but he is on strong antibiotics to ward off any infections before they begin. It will be three weeks this Friday since his last dose of chemo and if the Mylotarg is going to work, we should be seeing some improvement in his labs soon.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the children who ask of Aslan in The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, "Is he safe?" The answer is swift, "No, but he is good."

God does not promise safety, but it is His goodness that we cling to, and in this we give thanks.

Comments

Mary Ellen said…
Oh Amy, what a year it has been for your family in so many ways.

Each time I read about David's parents I always think how very blessed they are to have such a loving and supportive family so they don't have to walk through the valley alone.

Your love for your husbands family is so evident, I have such high admiration for those who treat their husband or wifes family as valuable as their own - that is how it should be.

We will continue to pray for David's parents adn for all of you.
Bless your heart Amy! Yes, God is good ALL the time, even when it hurts. Thank you for the update. xo rachel
Mary F Miller said…
Dear Amy, David & the boys,

We appreciate your blogger site. It lets us know whats going on with the Balty family. We have always loved you guys but, when we met David's parents they were easy to love too. Please let them know they are in our prayers. Amy, your site is a blessing to me each time I read it. We love & miss you all.

Mary & Steve
Michelle said…
Amy I will be praying for Don. As for me, I am due July 15th. I am sure it will be a boy.
Unknown said…
Mary Ellen, I personally feel as though I am blessed to be part of their family. They are easy to love!

Mary Miller, it is so good to hear from you. We think of you and Steve often. I'm thankful for your prayers for the Balty's, and I am sure they are as well. I miss your warm hugs on Sunday morning at church!

Michelle, Thanks for stopping by. I speak for experience that having all boys is FUN...never a dull moment, that's for certain. Looking forward to hearing more about your wee-one on your blog.
LaRona said…
Ah Amy...
I'm thankful for answered prayer...
Email to follow.
jenny said…
I loved the Lewis quote...so good and so fitting. The Baltys certainly know how to live their faith out...thanks so much for sharing their story...it is one to emulate. Their response to the poor prognosis so moving...their love for each other now mirrored in a 2nd generation passing on that same faith and love to the 3rd generation. It is inspiring to read. Our continued prayers are with you.

I'm so glad you had a blessed Thanksgiving...I always love getting in nature with my family. Everywhere you look, you are reminded of a loving Creator.
Anonymous said…
Amy,

When you're sad, I'm saddened. I don't even know your in-laws, but in a way I feel like I know them from your postings! Be assured that we bear your burden, and be assured that the Lord will uphold all of you with the "right hand of His righteousness" during this time. (Isaiah 41:10)

I feel privileged to even know about this Godly family. Thank you for being a blessing to me and to others by keeping us posted on Don's heath. Know all 9 of us send our love and prayers to you, David, the boys and the immediate family members. God's will be done in all of your lives! Faith over fear!

Love you bunches, my dear friend!
Amy and The Stroup Coop
Zephaniah 3:17
Unknown said…
Dear Amy and The Stroup Coop :)

It is my pleasure to have met you. here. You are a treasure, and as I watched tears fill your eyes last week when you spoke of how you were praying, I KNEW you were truly helping to bear our burden.

Btw, I missed you Sunday at church. Doug's solo Sunday night was awesome.

Tonight after we voted, we walked through the new church. It is beautiful, but as we were leaving, I recalled to David that when we walked into the gym last April, it certainly wasn't the structure of a building that drew us to that church-it was the fearless preaching of God's Word and and it became a spiritual oasis to us. Thank you for you part in helping us to transition.

I look forward to a growing friendship with you and your lovely family.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David