Skip to main content

A Tribute to my Father, Don Balty

January 12, 2009

So many thoughts flood my mind this morning as I try to authentically portray the life of a man – a man who let me call him Pa. Perhaps the best way to characterize my father is to tell you that when I made phone calls on Thursday to tell people about Dad’s passing, several grown men and ladies began sobbing when they heard the news. If Dad had heard them, he probably would have cried too, because he had a heart for people, and he could feel their sorrow. After Dad passed, a dear friend asked me what I would like if I could have anything that had belonged to Dad. At the moment I couldn’t think of anything, so I said, “How about his BMW?” But now I know the true answer: what I most want is what my father has already given to me.

First, he gave me a treasure house of wonderful memories. Dad loved to travel, and some of my earliest memories are of his taking us to Scottsbluff National Monument or to a local auditorium where we would watch travelogue presentations hosted by people who had traveled, photographed, and had returned to take us to exotic and mysterious faraway places. Many years later – two summers after Amy and I married – Dad pretended to be shocked to learn that Amy had never been out west. Within twenty-four hours, Dad had everything loaded and we blasted off for several days to the Black Hills and the Rocky Mountains.

This past summer, as we were beginning to see the darkening clouds on the horizon of Dad’s health, we decided to take one more road trip. As we followed the Oregon Trail toward the sunset, I was reminded of Francis Parkman’s journal entry wherein he followed the Oregon Trail to where it crossed the Platt River. Parkman was amazed to see huge pieces of furniture and other heirlooms stacked beside the river. He noted in his journal that many westward sojourners, realizing they had to choose between crossing the river or keeping their treasures, tossed aside items they once would have considered irreplaceable. As Dad prepared to cross the deepest river of his life, I was blessed to spend some precious hours with him. We talked, sometimes even laughed, well into the night. I came to realize that Dad had nothing to lay aside, nothing to hinder his fording death’s icy current and passing into the eternal summer land of the soul. When Mom called to say I needed to come home, I rushed back to Illinois, but only to get to talk to Dad, certainly not because he and I had any fences to mend. I can assure you that I have NO deep-seated disappointments about my father and NO bad memories.

Another gift my father gave to me was the way he treated my mother. You may have observed that when Mom enters a building, she pauses before going through the door, and she never opens her own car door – habits cultivated from years of living with a gentleman. So many times I’ve heard him say, “Let me carry that, Glenda.” Even when dad was just a few weeks from passing away, he was planning, from his hospital bed, the gifts that he wanted us to purchase for Mom’s birthday and for Christmas. He said that after he was gone, he didn’t want Mom to have to go out into the cold to start her own car, so he directed us to buy a remote starter for her car. Just another of his tokens of love. When I told Mom about Dad’s choice of casket colors, she said that he chose blue because it was her favorite color.

One night in November, I called his hospital room and asked how he was feeling. He said he was about the same. I asked how Mom was holding up. The line went silent. I thought maybe he had fallen asleep, because sometimes I have that effect on people. But he wasn’t asleep; he was crying. Finally, in a broken voice he said, “I’m just afraid that I’ll get so caught up in my own illness that I won’t even know how your mom is feeling.” Dad loved Mom, and he gave me the priceless gift of letting me watch him honor her.

Finally, Dad gifted me with a sense of my spiritual heritage. He spoke often about the churches that his father had pastored, churches whose salary usually had to be supplemented by my grandfather’s outside work. Yet my grandfather, Raymond, remained faithful to the task to which God had called him. Dad told me about his Granddad, Alonzo Balty, a shop keeper and farmer whom people affectionately called “Lon.” Lon was a deeply generous man who eventually lost his hardware store because he refused to collect debts from customers who were struggling during the Great Depression. It was Granddad Lon who gave my father the money to go to youth camp where, at age 15, Dad gave his heart to Christ.

But the story doesn’t begin there. According to the cryptic notes in my grandmother’s family Bible genealogy, a man named John Balty was born in Lille, France, in 1849. Grandma describes him as a “weaver and farmer” who died of “heart failure” in 1933, four years before Dad was even born. Yet John was so much more than can be implied by his occupation, because he was a man of faith. Dad told me that John hid for his life in France because of religious persecution. When John immigrated to America and became a Nebraska homesteader, he did so to slake his insatiable thirst for religious freedom.

And God handsomely rewarded the desires of John’s heart, because Grandma’s record shows that John’s son, Granddad Lon, gave his heart to Christ on August 26, 1901. Then Lon’s son, my Grandfather Raymond, was saved in February, 1923. Dad followed in the summer of 1952 when, during youth camp, he knelt at an alter in the administration building of Miltonvale Wesleyan College. Could John have known how his choices would impact my father? Never. Could Granddad Lon have known that his generosity might influence my father to show mercy to customers who were struggling to make their car payments? Impossible. Could Raymond have known that today I would be extolling his faithful years of ministry? What these generations of men knew is that although you can’t change your ancestry, you can bless your descendents by living a life of devotion to Christ and by honoring those within your scope of influence.

Therefore, I knew what my dad meant during our last face-to-face exchange. I knew what he meant on December 27, at 5:30 a.m. when I woke him and said that Amy and I were packed and ready to leave. I knew what he meant when he whispered, hoarsely, “Travel safely.” And as I turned away, he said, more quietly, “Travel safely, son.” He was not just referring to our trip to Georgia.

In about 48 hours, a gray hearse will somberly pull away from Melby Mortuary in Mankato, Kansas. The procession will head west on U. S. Highway 36 for a few miles, then turn north on Highway 128 toward Burr Oak, Kansas. A few minutes later we will drive between two white gateposts and enter Burr Oak Cemetery. After circling past the tall, stark flag pole, we will pass a grove of Russian Olive trees – silent sentinels brooding over hundreds of polished granite markers. On the south side of the cemetery, a small tent will be staked next to monuments that bear the names, “Isaac and Rachel Bender,” and “Raymond and Amie Balty.” A few moments later, Reverend Paul Eversole will commit my father’s body to the earth, his soul to God. And as the waves of sadness threaten to capsize our family, I am going to anchor my mind in this thought: the thing I most needed from my father, I have already received. He taught me how to travel safely.

David Balty

Comments

oh, goodness. As I am now sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks, I am so blessed to read such an amazing tribute. A precious challenge as parents on what generation are we leading and what will we leave? David & Amy- I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but rejoicing that one day you are going to get to dance with your dad again in his new, healthy body. I am thankful to know you both and what incredible parents you are.

Much love,
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing this. It was beautiful. A wonderful tribute to a wonderful, godly, gracious man.
Anonymous said…
David & Amy, What a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful man! I witness
similarities in our fathers
beyond the similarity of the cancer. As much as he grieved for Mother he was relieved she went first so as not to have to endure the pain he felt, and all the business involved with hospital bills, burial expenses, etc.. Even after the subsequent nervous breakdown where confusion and delusions often enveloped his mind he walked EVERY step with me of the long walk from the parking lot to the doctor's office as he had walked every slow, careful step with me since 4 years of age when he was not working. (He carried me until then often, I'm sure exhausted from very long, hard hours of work to provide for his family.He, too, NEVER done some one for unpaid air/heat/appliance bills...
"Grandmothers paying $10.00
a month" and sometimes food from their garden as interest met our expenses often. I am a 4th generation Christian if not more from my father and his ancestors who lived their lives as shining examples of Christ.
(I have NEVER been a morning person so I said that he could have told me he was going to "check out" in midafternoon "just for me!") There is more I could share, but this is David's tribute, and I'm not sure how much room this long-winded person has left! On Mother's tombstone which his wife allowed him to share read's "So long until we meet again "On the Other Side of Jordan." One of the songs mother requested for her funeral. Dee Dee
Mary Ellen said…
What an incredibly moving and beautiful tribute David wrote - no greater gift can a Dad leave for his son that what David's Dad left for his. He sounds like he was an amazing man Amy, and I'm sure he was thrilled to have you for a daughter in law. I was way behind on blogs until the last couple of days so I didn't realize he had passed away - we are so sorry for the loss of such a wonderful Dad and Grandpa. It's been 15 years since Rick's Dad passed away and he still misses him but what a comfort to know that men like them lived a life that at the end held no regrets as they went on to their eternal reward.
What a beautiful tribute and so beautifully written as well. David's Dad sounds like a wonderful man who was a incredible person, husband, Father, Father-in-law and Grandpa. The memories and times spent and conversations had will be something to cherish forever. I loved reading on how deeply he cared for his wife and thinking to the days ahead by getting her special things to take care of her, even after he was gone. That is so special. I am so sorry for your loss, I am sure you will miss him always.
Thanks for sharing, David & Amy! A beautiful tribute to a beautiful man!!

Much Love!
Anonymous said…
Sissy, I just read David's tribute once again and the effect it had on me was the same as it was the day I heard it come directly from David! While David's "heart" is revealed by his penned words, his deeply felt emotions, in hearing him read this, made it that much more beautiful! I know it still hurts so much, but what wonderful memories to have to keep and a wonderful legacy to share. I love you all very much! Carole
Anonymous said…
David,
What a wonderful tribute to your father. I know he would be very proud of you and very humbled by your words. Truly he was a gentleman and loved his family. I was honored to have known him and your family. May Gods abiding peace and love hold you up and give you courage and strength in the weeks and months to come. The days may seem long but always remember heaven is sweeter and we will again see those we love . Your freind because of Christ: Cyndie Long
jenny said…
Amy, tell David that was poignantly written...and inspiring to read. I wasn't expecting to smile, but must confess I had to when reading about the travelogues. My Dad was a fanatic for those as well! Thanks for the great memory.

One of the things that really stood out to Tom about your father-in-law's testimony, as shared at the funeral, was his ability to differ strongly with people on the church board, yet show unwavering support if the decision didn't go his way. How much wisdom there is in that...to learn to disagree...yet find our unity in Christ.

Much love...
Anonymous said…
A wonderful tribute --inspiring. Trust you all are doing OK. It was wonderful to have that hour or so with you in January.
Lisa said…
Oh wow...David's tribute was so very touching. We will always remember Bro. Balty. I first met the two of them when my husband Phil and I lived in Iowa back in 1995. Sweet folks. I saw your father last around 2005 while we were visiting Steve and Luann. Thanks for sharing...I know the pain you feel, we lost our baby boy at the age of 10 wks. Thank the Lord for His grace through every trial. This helped me today!
amy said…
Thank you to each of you for your thoughtful comments. Each of you is special to our family and so each of your notes are a blessing to us.
It has been over a month now since David's dad traveled to his heavenly home. It seems like we are living years within days.
I'm doing my best to play "catch-up" with the boys' schooling and hope to start posting on a regular basis soon. I know there are many of you who stop by daily. Thank you for your interest in us.
sure miss you!!! You all have been on my mind recently. hugs and love your way.
Ruth MacC said…
Sounds like he was a great guy. My dad died just over a year ago. We had a different relationship than yours but God did save him in the end!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David