Skip to main content

Do Not Be Weary!


Oh! The hats I wear!

Not literally, like Zachary is doing (in this pic from SSI) but figuratively. I'm wife, mom, daughter, sister, and friend.  I'm also teacher, nurse, household organizer and planner, chief cook, laundress, house cleaner, taxi-driver, cheerleader and disciplinarian.

Did you just get tired reading this list? If you're a mom, you're well acquainted with these "hats" because you wear them too.

Maybe that's why one of the verses from God's word that comes to my mind most often is Galatians 6:9: And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Like most moms, my daily schedule is already full. My body has not completely overcome its most recent setback and I tire more easily. I find myself "weary" before I begin.

I found encouragement this morning in my devotional today Jesus Today by Sarah Young:

You live in a world where weakness is often pitied-or even despised. People spend vast amounts of time, energy, and money on efforts to strengthen their bodies. They also use various stimulants to avoid or disguise weariness. However, weakness and weariness are simply part of the reality of living in a fallen world-and in a fallen body.
I (Jesus) invite you to come into my Presence confidently, with all your weariness and weakness...and assure you that as you bask in time with Me, I will use it to strengthen you spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
 
 
So today, I'm also resting in Isaiah 40:29-31 (The Lord) gives strength to the weary and increases power to the weak . Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

Happy Birthday, Amy

When Zachary’s slender hand grasps yours You lay aside your evening chores, Embarking out upon a pillowed sea. The books reclining on your knees (Yours motherhood; his history), Two spirits blend, his head leans on your arm. He doesn’t have to say, “I love you, Mom.” Seth’s plaintive cry splits pre-dawn’s calm Needing, it seems, your loving balm. His message, to the point: “Take me to Mom.” Setting the steaming mug aside You let him burrow deep, and hide, Enveloped in the solace of your warmth. He doesn’t have to say, “I love you, Mom.” Sam, snuggled in the upper bunk The drink of sleep not fully drunk Has no idea you’re already up. The mixing bowl, the flour and spice He’ll see, and lisp, “O Paradithe” And wrap two sturdy arms around your waist. He doesn’t have to say, “I love you, Mom.” Your husband rises every day And views – miraculous display – How shirts, once hampered, now hangers adorn. Somehow his bride has taught the boys, Delivered meals and picked up toys Each task accomp

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do