Skip to main content

Loving Today

If you have been reading my blog over this last year and have followed some of my links, they may have lead you to families who are in the midst of severe trial and suffering.

At Ashley's Story you can read about a little girl who had a multi-organ transplant and then got cancer from the anti-suppressant therapy. Baby Noah, who has a terminal mitocondrial disease or Heather, a young mom, who has a brain tumor. Nate, who chronicles the days of his wife, Trisha, who has Cystic Fybrosis. Just as Trisha was being processed for a double lung transplant, they discovered the bittersweet news of her pregnancy. They chose to continue the pregnancy, knowing that the survival of both mommy and baby was 50%.

These are just a few. Many of the lives behind the blogs that I followed have found ultimate healing. And I have sat behind my computer screen and cried.

Often I’ve been asked if I knew the people behind those links. "No," I’d reply. Then “Why do you read them? They are so depressing,” was often the unasked question. So I took the links off my blog and have kept these suffering lives in my secret reading. But recently as I was sharing the story of baby Noah with a close friend, the words tumbled out—“What draws you to these lives?”

Written by believers, these blogs inspire me to marvel at strength in the face of severe adversity. I search my own heart…would I have such courage? And in cowardice, I ask if it is possible to protect myself from such an assault?

And I’ve come to believe I could have been protected,if I had so chosen. It is no better expressed than by C.S.Lewis in The Four Loves:

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket—safe, dark, motionless, airless—it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, and irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell.”


Love is risky; vulnerability, riskier. However,these blogs teach me how to love with courage, prompt me to remember what really matters most and the brevity of what exists.

So I let Seth ride his trike in the house,and I say ouch only a little loudly when he runs over my heels. Juice spilt at the table is merely a nuisance or moon sand is just a pain-in-the-neck to clean up(although I did throw it out). I play tent when I have laundry to do or read a book when I should have swept the floor. I hug my boys tighter. I say, “I love you” more often.

This is not an eloquent answer, but it is sincere. Tonight I am adding these links to my blog space again. If you have time, visit a story or two. Let your eyes feel the sting of tears and ask God to allow you to feel more deeply so that you might love more fully. And be thankful for today.

Comments

Dori Overman said…
OH Amy, Your kind of love is amazing! Don't filter it...let it be what it is and thank God for the pain of Love. I know that pain and joy every day! Another special needs mom once told me that only a mom with a special child can know the feeling of estatic joy and deep sorrow at the same time. I'm not so sure she is right, I think many other people know that feeling as well! I'm off to check out your list of blogs!

Oh, and we may be in Atlanta in June...maybe we can see you!
Unknown said…
Dori,

I think that your friend was right but like you,I agree, that it is not just limited to moms whose children have special needs but to anyone who experience pain and loss. I believe that it is the experience of pain that opens the well of the soul to the depth of feeling. I have only tasted of it.

We'd love to see you in June. David will be away for a conference a few days but email me and we can make arrangements!

UL CARDS fan: I responded to your Yahoo email. I am sorry that you had trouble posting a comment (if anyone else has a problem, let me know, please). Thanks for your kind words!
Twila G. said…
Amy, this was an awesome post. I'm so glad you put these links back on your site.
Sandi H said…
Amy,
A friend read a quote to me today in the midst of lots of "stuff" going on and I am sure that I will mess it up completely but the gist was this - we do not live this life to get to death pristine - in perfect condition. Instead we are meant to live our lives full tilt until we are worn out, broken and run to the grave completely spent for our Lord. She said to me - you are at the worn out, completely spent point - rejoice! God is using you! I too am completely inspired to read stories of people walking paths much more difficult than my own and sharing the joys and the hurts. Thanks for reminding me again. It just must be that kind of day!
Unknown said…
Twila,
Good to hear from you...I've been missing your comments!

Sandi,
What an awesome thought! I can only imagine that many of these lives behind the blogs I've written about will "crawl" into the arms of God! Thanks for sharing this.
Laura ☃ said…
Amy, although I haven't had time to follow many blogs lately, I think anytime someone has enough compassion to follow the hurt & healing in someone else's life, it is an amazing compassion for life. What other people live can be such an awakening experience, we don't know what 's ahead. The trial can be anything, but sometimes it can make you realize how much tighter you need to hold on to your own, to let the little things go realizing what really matters in life. Life is so fragile. So read, let it be there for others to decide if they want to read & should it not be their calling-that's their decision, but for the rest of us who appreciate linking through please keep them. In all my stress, it felt unmeasurable when a friend had to perform CPR unsuccessfully on an 18 month old boy who fell into a small body of water. Watching the healing process has been horrible, and it's awful to say we listen, learn & hold our babies tighter. It's helps to treasure life through the tears.
Kimberly said…
Beautifully written! Living and loving fully is possible for all of us, I think, if we dare open ourselves to both the painful and the glorious. (but, of course, I "prefer" some more glorious:) Thanks for adding the links and reminding us of what matters.
jenny said…
Loved the C.S. Lewis quote...and I think it only shows what a deeply compassionate person you are in the way you follow these stories. And yes, their knowledge certainly changes the way we live our daily lives...in gratitude for the simple things.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 2: HOME!!

From his vantage point at our front door, three-year old Seth delightedly shrieked, "Mommy," and I turned in time to see Amy being driven down our long driveway. Our three blond-haired boys buried their faces in their mother. Even the house sighed contentedly. Amy's home. A Happy Husband, David