Skip to main content

Spring Break, Day 1

We love, love the beach and David really wanted to head to St. Simon's Island about 4hours away for a few days of spring break. He had a million reasons why this would be "just what the doctor ordrered," so to speak. :-) I was reluctant, still feeling like my health is tenuous. So we decided to do day trips. So, on Monday, we headed to Stone Mountain Park. We have season passes there and it is always a "hit" with the 2 youngest because there is a train there and if this mommy got to feeling yucky we could leave and not feel badly that we had spent so much $$$.

Arriving.


We took the "easy" way up.





Several years ago I introduced David to hiking. Unfortunately in his mind it was about 200 degrees and we hiked with a 5 and 2 year old up Little Round Top in Gettysburg, PA. I wanted to really "feel" the experience. He didn't. But since then we have hiked many times, and we all enjoy it. We have never hiked up Stone Mountain and I wasn't sure I was ready to hike down...maybe he was getting even, but he talked me into it and I made it!!! Over a mile down over solid rock! I saw men running up and down the mountain so this was NO great feat but after what my body has recently been subjected to, I felt great. I wanted to try to hike back up but David said, "NO way!"

This is a picture of Samuel and Zach on our way down (probably waiting for me...)








They RAN and jumped alot of the way down...oh, to be young again!






This is one of my favorite pictures as Seth and Samuel wait for the train at the bottom of the mountain.












A very contented boy on the train.



We had a wonderful day! I felt terrific and loved every minute with my men. In fact, I felt SO great that David said, "I really think you would do fine at the beach..."so at 7PM, we headed home to do laundry and pack to leave the next day.

More pictures to come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We love Stone Mountain. My husband hikes up and down it, me not so much! But, I'm working on it. We have seasons passes as well. We've been wanting to get to get out there, but something always seems to come up! Glad you had the strength to make it down.
Mary Ellen said…
I hiked that mountain many years ago (pre-marriage) and would love to see it again sometime.

So, so, so glad you are doing well and that you had an uneventful procedure! I can only see the first few pictures, the rest are small boxes with a red 'x' in them. Is it just me?

The top picture of you with the boys cracked me up...what are the chances of a little boy in a bright green jacket walking by right at that moment PICKING HIS NOSE!?!?! Hilarious!

Enjoy the remainder of your Spring Break, some R and R at the beach will probably be very good for you. Salt is healing you know. "-)
Unknown said…
I can't tell if it's just you or not, Mary Ellen...would someone else post whehter or not they are seeing all the pictures??? :-)
Rochelle said…
I'm seeing all the pics Amy!
So glad you're having a fun Spring Break & that your body is healing!! Have a great time at the beach.
UL Cards Fan said…
Dear Amy, I have been checking regularly and was SO happy to see an update about your health and R&R. The pictures are GREAT. One thing about GA. is it is a lot closer to the ocean than Louisville or Lexington. When I was in MYF (METHODIST YOUTH FELLOWSHIP) many moons ago we went to St. Simon's Island. You could just reach down in the water and pick up starfish. We decided to bring some home on the bus but on the way back to Louisville they DIED and the smell was awful. So glad you are able to enjoy this time with your family. Praise God for his healing hand. Love, LINDA

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David