Skip to main content

When Memories Turn to Gold

St. Simon Island with its quaint streets and great sidewalks make bicycling--as a family--a safe and fun activity. So we chose our last day there to rent bikes. The weather cooperated with perfect skies and temperatures!












Even Riley seemed to enjoy the ride (and didn't mind sharing "her" seat with Seth)!

We rode for about 4 hours, stopping at Christ Church and Wesley Memorial Gardens for about a half-hour. The church was not only lovely but while walking through the gardens, the church bells began to peal...I cannot describe how wonderful it felt to hear and see at that moment! A sweet moment to take a deep breath and Thank God for His goodness! I would have reflected a little more but the boys always seem to run in gear so we headed on the Fort, which unfortunately I have no pictures of.














I have not been on a bike (other than my boys' for VERY short periods of times for years so this pic was taken--maybe at the risk of peril to me--but this is how we rode that day. David leading way, with the bike trailer attached to his bike, Samuel and Zach next followed by me. I felt like my heart would overflow with love that morning with all those precious "guys" ahead of me --so vibrant and full of laughter! What a precious picture this is to me and will always bring back fond memories of our time together! Years ago, there was a popular song by Steve and Annie Chapman called When memories Turn to Gold. The older I get the more the really "get" the lyrics to that song...I have searched in vain but cannot find them!


I am so thankful for a wonderful, healthy week to spend with my family!

Comments

Unknown said…
Where are the pictures of you? Looks like you guys had a great time together.
Dori Overman said…
Those are just beauitful pictures! I can't believe you had the energy to bicycle for FOUR hours! You've got to check out Calloway Gardens...It was a favorite place to go when we lived there!
UL Cards Fan said…
Hi Amy,
We are in Louisville today. My husband ran the Derby Marathon and as an added bonus we are staying with my parents. Tomorrow we are going to a FREE Point of Grace Concert at waterfront park .I really like POG music but have never seen them in concert. Anyway, I tried to find your song lyrics but the closest I came was the name of the CD Kiss of Hearts. Glad your vacation went well. Love, LINDA
LOS said…
My mom, sister, and sister-in-laws, 1 niece, and I spent a "girls only" week end on St. Simon Island. We have fond memories of that beautiful place! It looks like you all had a great time -much deserved!
Amy, you all look like you had a wonderful time and the pictures are just beautiful! I am so glad that you have the energy and are well enough to be able to bike all that time and to enjoy your vacation. Just a few short weeks ago, who would have even thought that was possible. Our God is so good. Thank you for your note to me the other day when I was having a hard time with another step in Connor's life. I can't tell you how much that all meant to me that day and your words went through my mind often that day and were always an encouragement. God bless you!
That looks like a fun vacation. I am so glad you were able to go and have a great time with your "boys!"

I will send you some places at HH. We love going there and it is a great family place with bike riding trails all over the island etc...

We are a little bit further away than you guys (400 miles).

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David