Skip to main content

Lead Me to the Cross

Partly my blog is to keep in touch with family and friends—both old and new—but also it is to be honest about my walk with Christ and who I am (or not) in Him. It isn’t always easy to be transparent. Sometimes, I would rather hide behind "cloaks of righteousness," where wounds are not exposed or sin to be criticized. Frankly I did that for years and I didn’t help anyone. And I am most encouraged in my journey by those who are open and willing to be honest about their journey too.

Sundays have been the hardest day of the week for me since our move to Georgia. (Sundays are hard period. Of course, maybe this just happens in my home, but try as I may, Sunday mornings are not always peace filled). And I went to church this morning with attitude.

The ugly truth is I do not want to go to the church that my husband has chosen.

I cannot find fault, if you will, with anything to speak of. The music is praise directed and there is little to no mention of the worship team being Casting Crowns. It’s not a showy worship team--the screens show very little of them, which is another part that I really like –not too much focus on the singer versus the song. The pastor preaches the Word. Our boys really enjoy church.

It’s just big. Too big, in my opinion. For me, anyway. I feel like I’ve landed in the land of the giants and I’m a gnat.

I’ve come to face the fact that my comfort zone was Grace Church and it had not only become comfortable but relational. I felt comfortable and liked, and I liked being comfortable and liked. And I have not liked being a nobody.

So today I went to church unhappy… again.

Forgetting that just last week a very kind woman named Bernadette warmly welcomed me and invited, no insisted, that I come to Bible Study on Thursday morning at church. I was sick and unable to go. I didn’t think a lot about it….just enough to remember to apologize IF I saw her again this week.

So I sat and stood and listened and felt angry. Angry until the lyrics to this song by Hillsong were sung.

Lead me to the cross
Where Your love poured out
Bring me to my knees
Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to You Lead me,
lead me to the cross

How could I? How could I sit and be angry? Rid me of myself, I belong to you…lead me to the cross where Your love poured out…bring me to my knees Lord, I lay me down…Lead me to the cross

In those moments, the well of my heart opened and tears of surrender flowed.

I wish I could say I wasn’t a slow study and that I wouldn’t struggle anymore but I know differently, this is a process and there will be more times of surrender.

Bernadette…she found me after church and said she waited for me Thursday morning.She reached and held my hand as she spoke to me but I believe that it was God holding my hand this morning at Eagles Landing First Baptist Church through a beautiful 60 something lady named Bernadette. She will be waiting for me again this week.

Comments

Dori Overman said…
Amy
You don't know what a relief it is to hear your honesty. I too often have an attitude about church. Most day I just don't even want to go. I go because I'm supposed to go. I miss my dad's preaching, I miss the old hymns I'm used to. I could go on and on. I'm not yet where you are in the acceptance yet. Maybe soon?
Twila G. said…
Amy, This was such a beautiful relevant post. I long to be a transparent person, but it's so difficult sometimes. Thanks for your honesty. Love you.
Twila
Unknown said…
Dori, acceptance? Maybe. I know that I am to be in submission to David's authority and I'm going to church--therefore submitting... but I haven't been going with a gracious attitude--and that's what I want to do/be. Yesterday was a time of repentance and surrender to David and God. For me humility will be what I need. God can speak to me anywhere but if I am proud in my spirit and selfish thinking about what I need/want...
I'm not sure that I am making sense but I know what I want to be and what I haven't been. So acceptance? Probably not complete, acceptance but reluctant, gracious acceptance and by God's help eventually complete acceptance but for now, surrender and it's sweet.

Thanks, Twila. It's always good to hear fom you! And BTW, even your admission--that's tranparency.
Anonymous said…
Amy, I loved this post. But...I know what God says about submitting. I am not to that point. I fully believe you have a say. You are a person, a beautiful person who followed God & gave up what you knew because your family was lead there. Maybe it is God's will that you are there. However, being that I used to belong at a mega church, unless you get plugged in & involved that feeling won't go away. You aren't out during the week at a job making friends. You do have a bible study. There have been neat coincidences for you. Remember your post "simply amy"? But, you are a person with a say & if you feel ugly one day it's OKAY. It's necessary to deal with it & move on so you don't become bitter. I was submissive to someone who in no way could be compared to your hubby, it was his way or no way. I have a hard time being submissive now because of it. But don't always be the one to give in because you're a woman. (That's not saying be ugly either) Remember without women, there would be no men. I love your family, David is awesome & intelligent & I love the spirituality in your family, but you have a vote. Your opinion matters. That's where the phrase came "if momma aint happy, nobody's happy". In all that, I repeat, I love BOTH of you, I know God's word, but how much do you submit before you lose who you are?
~Laura
Unknown said…
Laura,
I know your heart is speaking here--and I love you for it.
I believe that I don't lose myself, so to speak, but in submission, become one in David and his decisions. This is alot easier to say than to do! David does not make decisions casually nor does he make them to hurt me and he would readily admit that he is fallible.
I do have a voice. For example several years ago (right after Seth's birth) he had three job offers--all moving us away-- but all "good" offers. I was terrified to think of leaving all of you and my support base. I was also concerned that a big move would slow and maybe halt his completion of his doctorate. He did listen and decided not accept any offers that year. This move was different. He believed completely that this was God's will and he hasn't looked back. Right now, he believes that we should attend the church here now but he hasn't said that this is where we'll attend for years. I'm impatient and I want to find a place where my roots can start to develop. I think that the "me" of "us" is selfish and I am not being a martyr. I know I talk alot about this Daniel study but it has really opened my eyes to see "Babylon" for what it is--"all about me."
Maybe here is the short summary, I have a vote, David has 2. He listens (and I DO talk)and considers but he decides.

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David