Skip to main content

I love lists. I have a list right now for things to do before we leave for PA. I often have a list of things to accomplish in a day. When I was pregnant with my sons, I longed for a checklist for God. Audacious, I was. But it would have been titled, “Things I Don’t Want Passed Down to My Son.”

I don’t like my nose but that wouldn’t have been on the list. I always wished my hair was thick like my sister’s, but hair wouldn’t have been on the list either. Scoliosis would have been at the top of that list. It has caused me a lot of frustration over the years. The doctors attempted to brace my back with a rigid plastic brace but I was non-compliant. Being compliant meant being excused permanently from recess and PE. But most of all, in those elementary years, being compliant equaled being teased by other students. And kids are so cruel. My non-compliance (although I didn’t realize it at age 10) was my ticket to a spinal fusion at age 15 and body cast for 6 weeks after that. And another spinal fusion 15 years later…

So imagine my dismay when I discovered that Zachary’s hip looked a little high to me this past August soon after our move to Georgia. A check-up at the doctor disclosed that he did have a 12-degree curve (curvature of the spine is considered within normal limits until 10 degrees).

Zachary is a very active boy who loves all kinds of sports (except soccer!). To take him out of PE and sports would have been very difficult, especially since a brace is sometimes used until growth is complete (which is estimated to be age 18 in Zach).

I began researching and discovered a “new” brace. “New” because most medical advances take years to become available to the general public. The SpineCor brace is completely flexible and exercise is encouraged in an effort to make the back stronger! It looks like elastic bands around the torso and is undetectable by touch and under clothing. The studies looked great but it took many days on the phone to find a provider and have insurance cover the expense. My tenacity paid off and in late summer Zachary began wearing the SpineCor brace.

Yesterday when Zach went for his check-up, the doctor didn’t even have to measure the curve. Zip! Zero! Nada! ZERO degrees! Zachary will wear the brace for another 3 months and be evaluated again. If his spine remains at zero, he will be allowed out of the brace. I couldn't receive a better Christmas present!

Comments

Twila G. said…
Wow! That is sooo awesome, Amy. I am so happy. Praise the Lord!!!
Kelli said…
That is a wonderful Christmas present, Amy! I am thanking God!
Hugs,
Kelli
Family O'Foxes said…
Amen! Good for you to keep on top of things. I had to do that with my daughter who has JRA (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis).

~Amy
Anonymous said…
Amy, I am so happy for you and for Zach. That is such awesome news. I trust that he continues on such a great path of healing.
Sandi H said…
Amy,
Great news and nothing is sweeter than seeing your child get better!
Anonymous said…
Awesome!
Unknown said…
I'm so happy for you and Zach! That deserves much celebration! Love you all!
jenny said…
Amy, that is such great news! Way to go mom, doing all that research in the midst of settling in from a move and remodeling projects.
Laura ☃ said…
If I were there I'd give you guys lots of hugs.
This is awesome news. It's amazing how God works things out! I'm sure Zachary (and you) felt a humongous weight lifted off your hearts & shoulders :)
Unknown said…
Thanks and hugs to all of you!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David