Skip to main content

Hope


Where there is life there is hope.

I was a young girl when I first heard this comment, offered to my mom, as solace for my mother’s grief over my grandmother’s impending death.

Never have those words meant so much. With each garment I have unpacked –intended to be worn at a funeral—I have given thanks. I am cautiously optimistic about Don’s physical condition. Prematurely, you might warn, and you would be right, because the life of a patient with recurrent leukemia is precarious.

Leukemia patients, the doctor warned me when I said that we were planning to come home, die in one of two ways: infection or bleeding. Don’s infection (other than what he acquired in the hospital due in part to the high powered antibiotics that he receives and in part to an insufficient immune system) is under control. And his risk of spontaneous internal bleeding is being control by a transfusion of platelets almost every other day. So at this moment his health remains perilously contingent on blood transfusions and antibiotics. But he is stable.

Many of you know Don and/ or one of his children who has inherited his quick wit. So to watch his humor and lucidity dissipate for a period of several hours was grievous to me, but Lisa (David sister) kept things humorous with quips that made me laugh when I felt like crying. I was feeding Don on Monday morning as the daylight began to filter through the hospital curtains. The fog of confusion began to lift and he raised his head and said in a conspiratorial tone, “What are we going to do for Mom’s birthday?” And in the moments that followed he explained to Lisa and me just what he had planned for her birthday and Christmas. Neither Lisa nor myself could hold the tears from flowing.

There were certainly times of tears but balanced by laughter. Zachary read to his grandpa from Patrick McManus, The Grasshopper Trap, a favorite of all the Baltys, I think. Grandpa laughed until he cried.

Our days were bittersweet – each moment, painfully precious.

We returned exhausted, but safely, to Georgia. We are not sure for how long but, for right now, in this moment, “where there is life there is hope,” and I am hoping. Prayerfully hoping for a renewal of physical health for a man we love so much. But I am reminded that as believers in Christ our hope extends beyond the grave, and in this I am certain…

“… We do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal”
(2 Corinthians 4:16-18).

With hope,

Amy

Comments

Twila G. said…
Amy, so glad you got to be with Dave's parents and that Don is stable right now.If you haven't read Ann Voskamp at http://aholyexperience.com, she has a post called Now's miracle that is so good. You have to scroll down a bit to find it though. I've been thinking of you all so much and continue to lift you to our Father.
Rochelle said…
Thank God for the 'inner renewal' and the strength that that brings with it. God bless your family during this difficult time..
Donna said…
Ahhh....Amy, I could "feel" your pain in the words you wrote. May God sustain you and David during this very difficult time. Much Love and Prayers!!!!
Rachel said…
I'm praying that God will continue to strengthen you and His grace sustain during these very difficult days.
Such a precious post. I've checked on you several times since the 7th. Thanks for the update. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love,Rachel
Kimberly said…
You voiced this truth so well! We DO NOT live as those who have no hope...thankfully! Blessings.
Thank you for the update. I have been checking and wondering how Mr. Balty was doing. I am so thankful that you had a sweet time as a family, laughing and crying. The picture is priceless of Seth standing there next to his bedside.
Heidi said…
Amy,
Thank you so much for the update on Don. The Balty's are very special to us. In fact, Dave and I got to visit with them for a few minutes at the Bullock/Beckham reunion concert in St. Louis. Imagine our surprise at seeing them so far from home with all the physical issues they have been through. At that point, Don was still in remission and so full of hope. They have been a blessing to so many people across the years. We will continue to hold up your entire family in prayer.
Love,
Heidi
Heidi said…
Amy,
Thank you so much for the update on Don. The Balty's are very special to us. In fact, Dave and I got to visit with them for a few minutes at the Bullock/Beckham reunion concert in St. Louis. Imagine our surprise at seeing them so far from home with all the physical issues they have been through. At that point, Don was still in remission and so full of hope. They have been a blessing to so many people across the years. We will continue to hold up your entire family in prayer.
Love,
Heidi
Unknown said…
Thanks to each of you for your support and prayers. I've just learned that Don is once again running a fever and this is NOT good news. David spoke with him briefly but his father's weakness kept him from conversing but for just a minute.

Heidi, it was delightful after a long night at the hospital to see Steve waiting for the elevator too. He stopped by the family room later where I was teaching the boys and Samuel, was especially curious as to what surgery he had done that morning. After Steve explained that he had cut a bone and straightened with plates and screws, Samuel said, "that must have left a mark." Indeed it did, Steve said. We love Steve and LuAnn and they mean so much to my in-laws.
Valerie said…
You and your family are in my prayers.
Unknown said…
Thanks for the update. Sorry I didn't get your call the other night. Philip works tomorrow so maybe I can catch you sometime then. We are praying for all of you. Love you!
LindaJo49 said…
What a neat post, Amy! And the photo is one that will be cherished for years to come! While these are difficult times and takes us back to my mother before she went on to heaven, these are also moments you will never forget. We will be praying for special strength. And I hope we get to see you this weekend. We'd like to introduce you to little Ava! Kasi has so appreciated your prayers!

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling Curriculum Help?

Shannon is hosting a backwards edition of what-works-for-me Wednesday , where you can ask for advice/ or suggestions instead of giving them. Yeah! I need some advice. David and I are really praying and considering homeschooling our boys, K4 and grades 2 and 6 —beginning this fall. Can anybody recommend a curriculum, either as a whole or as a subject, that you are crazy about that doesn’t make you crazy? Secondly, if you could give one tip for “survival” what would that be?

February 27 Update

I just called to see if Amy wanted to blog anything today, but at the moment she is talking on the phone to her wonderful friend, Deb Rose. Deb and her husband, Brian, used to live in Louisville several years ago. They were our very best friends. If I were talking to the Roses this evening, I would tell them that Amy is desperately scared. The docs have given her a very stiff dose of antibiotics, but as of this moment, her body temp is climbing once again. Her primary doctor told her he fears that this infection may be fungal in nature. I don’t completely understand all of the implications, except that we are shooting at this infection with our biggest guns, but it just keeps on coming. In her introspective manner, she shared with me today that if she had known she would lose her sight, she would have invested it more wisely in the things she read and watched: “What if I go completely blind and can’t read the Bible? I have to get more serious about memorizing.” This morning a do

March 8

Amy does not feel well enough to blog today, so the sub is blogging on her behalf. Yesterday Amy thought she saw some new spots in her left eye and felt that she was experiencing some of the same sensations that she had during her stroke, so she went to the doctor. He said that he sees no new lesions, but that doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have another stroke. He recommended that she begin steroids to reduce any retinal inflammation. Amy continues to need your prayers. Blessings, David